Magento 2.3, an extremely upgraded version of Magento 1.9, comes with many new features, brand new architecture, database design, and coding structure. If you’re a Magento 1.9 user, you should seriously consider moving to Magento 2.3 in order to further optimize your website and keep up with the changing demands of the market.
In April 2017, Magento had announced that it would withdraw its support for Magento 1 which has been brought into effect on July 2020. As Magento will not release any new security patches, it renders Magento 1 vulnerable to unprecedented threats. It becomes an attractive proposition for hackers and puts the customer’s data and the whole website, at risk. Switching to Magento 2.3 will ensure better security along with the incorporation of all the new features.
Some of the reasons to switch from Magento 1.9 to 2.3 are outlined below:
- Speed: Magento 2.3 is significantly faster than Magento 1.9 with reduced load time and increased compatibility. Magento 2.3 provides a better customer experience, high conversion rates, and optimized performance, as it processes orders 39% faster than Magento 1.9. The 2.3 version uses the latest tech stack and database which enables the website to handle more requests per second. Because of its inbuilt Varnish caching, the 2.3 version can store and return the cached content quickly without keeping the customer waiting.
- Security update and module support: Magento 1.9 is no longer supported by Adobe, so no additional security patches will be incorporated in it. The sellers will have to invest an exorbitant amount of money and time into building their own security patches. On the other hand, Magento 2.3 has a robust and stable security system including a two-factor authentication which was missing in the previous version. The 2.3 version has further scope for customized security features through the integration of extensions.
- PCI compliance: In the case of Magento 1.9, PCI compliance will have to be managed by the seller. The seller will have to constantly develop new security patches in order to obtain compliance. Magento 2.3 fulfills the customer’s criteria of data protection through default PCI compliance. To ensure support from the company and security for your website, you should go for Magento 2.3.
- PWA (Progressive Web App): Magento 2.3 comes with an option of decoupling system (Backend and Frontend) instead of a monolithic system as in Magento 1.9. This enables the possibility of PWA which improves the Google search engine rank and gives an experience of a native application without having to develop it separately. This is very useful for those who have a lot of returning users.
- Streamlined checkout process: According to Harris Interactive, 47% of buyers give up the purchase because of a lengthy checkout process. Magento 2.3 end to end checkout time is 55% lesser as compared to Magento 1.9. Magento 2.3 has a streamlined one-page checkout process which is more convenient for the customers as compared to the multi-page checkout process provided by Magento 1.9. The one-page checkout has simplified the whole process and increased conversion rates.
- Payment Gateway: Magento supports the popular payment gateways by default and does not require separate integration which builds trust among customers and increases conversion.
- Integrating extensions: Extensions are an important part of Magento or any other e-commerce platform. Since features provided by the default e-commerce site cannot cater to all the needs of your product, integrating extensions is important. Magento 2.3 comes with a lot of 3rd party extensions by default that includes payment options like Paypal and others like HTML5, CSS3, etc. Integrating extensions is much easier on Magento 2.3 and it does not interfere with other extensions and allows for unlimited customizations.
- Elasticsearch: Magento 2.3 includes Elasticsearch which is one of the most advanced Search Engines. It helps in easy navigation and performs quick searches on products in the product catalog and also supports multiple languages. Fuzzy search can be configured easily because of this, making the experience easier for the customers. It clearly gives Magento 2.3 an edge over Magento 1.9.
- Mobile-Friendly: The majority of the population uses mobiles to navigate through websites and apps. It’s imperative to have a mobile-friendly website in such circumstances. Magento 1.9 isn’t suitable for mobiles because of the complicated browsing and lengthy payment process. Magento 2.3 however includes responsive mobile-optimized themes and payment methods that are suitable for phones. It also uses Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMPs) that make it more accessible. These are fast, secure, and shareable. It ensures higher conversion rates. It enables the AMPs to work like apps downloaded from the app store.
- Easy to use admin panel: Magento 2.3. has a fairly simple dashboard that is easy to navigate. The admin panel is mobile friendly with an easy to use intuitive interface. It makes working on Magento 2.3 much easier for the team of sellers and they can handle all the operations easily. Thus 2.3 obviously provides better results and any business looking to grow should definitely consider switching to it.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): The various upgraded SEO features of Magento 2.3 include meta tags, meta descriptions, canon URLs, etc. It increases speed, reduces load time, and helps in improving SEO rankings for the products. Although it needs a little bit of crafting, it can be used to boost sales.
All in all, Magento 2.3 is way more upgraded than Magneto 1.9. It’s easier to browse, contains more exciting features, and a better security system than the previous version. All the upgraded features help in providing highly optimized performance and optimum scalability. For businesses that are looking to grow and branch out, Magento 2.3 should be the obvious choice.